Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2012

My Helicopter Mother is Driving me Nuts ...

A little over a year and a half ago I moved into my mom's basement ... after my dad evicted me ... it was a very hard time for me and for my kids and I am entirely grateful for her taking us in ... however ... I think she misunderstood why it was that we did move in ... or at least her actions speak to the fact that she thinks I needed much more than a roof over my head ...

This is a difficult area of contention for me ... because I know that she thinks she is trying to help ... she is well intended ... and we are in her house ... so it's hard for me to say things without sounding ungrateful ...

The problem is that she is now over-involved in my life and the lives of my kids ... she takes over meals ... she takes over laundry ... she takes over homework ... she nags me about stuff in my life ... including if I reset my alarm from 7:00 to 7:20 to get a few extra minutes of sleep ... she is either
downstairs waking me up or calling me at 7:05 to tell me it's time to get up ... I just feel overwhelmed ... and much of what annoys me about her now are the same things that annoyed me when I was a teenager ... it's this naggy sense that she doesn't trust me or doesn't think I'm capable or responsible ... so she has to micromanage my life ... it's the whole helicopter parent thing she was so good at when I was young ... that has now become a larger part of my life again ...


Now ... if I had never left home this would all be more understandable to me ... but I did leave home ... I left for over eleven years ... I lived a completely competent life without her ...

Somehow I need to communicate to her that I didn't move in because I needed her to cook or do laundry ... I didn't move in because I needed her to tell me how to raise my kids ... I didn't move in because I needed someone to remind me to do all the things I do every day ... I moved in simply to put a roof over my head and my kids' heads ... that's it ...