Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Power of a Smile ...

"A gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile can work wonders and accomplish miracles." ~ William Hazlitt

I ran into the grocery store at 1am ... I work nights ... that's fairly normal for me ... the security guard smiled and asked me how I was doing ... then I went on to the section of the store I needed and there was a man cleaning the floors ... he also smiled and said hi ... finally the clerk at the front
of the store was smiling and bubbling ... and I left the store in a happier mood than I went in ... and I went into the store in a pretty good mood ...

Sometimes in this life it's easy to let things get you down ... but it's amazing how a simple gesture like a smile can bring you up ...

When people in the business world go through training smiling is often part of their training ... I've been through enough retail training and human relations training to know that smiling and eye contact are very important ... there are certain stores where I know people are always friendly ... at a grocery store recently a checker apologized for being giggly and bubbly, I told her I would much rather have that than the other way around ... 

But smiles and eye contact and pleasantries shouldn't just be reserved for strangers ... they should be offered to everyone ... if everyone is giving out smiles and everyone is receiving smiles ... the entire world is a happier, better place ...