Search This Blog

Saturday, December 23, 2023

Mom Shaming at Christmas

I've come across several posts on social media advising, "Before you share your extravagant Christmas tree pictures with an abundance of gifts, consider how it might impact others." I disagree; share your pictures, share your reality, regardless of its appearance!

All the pictures I share reflect my personal experiences. The Christmas of 2009, with gifts from the Dollar Store, was particularly challenging. However, it taught me the joy of buying presents there. This year, there are numerous Dollar Tree puzzles for my youngest under our tree, along with a few stocking stuffers.

I've had Christmases funded by donations, especially in 2011 and 2014, as well as ones where I could do

a lot. Another crucial factor to consider when viewing these pictures is the headcount—it changes everything. In the 2022 picture, there are gifts for fourteen people from ten contributors, a stark contrast to 2009 when there were only presents for my three kids from just me.

Remember, your reality is YOUR reality. You're entitled to experience and feel life as it is. However, one challenging aspect is explaining Santa presents, especially to a child like Trevor, who is exceptionally well-behaved. It's tough to clarify why Santa filled his stocking with a coloring book and crayons while the neighbor got an iPad and a bike. I'm guilty too; Santa brought my older kids an Xbox one year, even though two of them no longer believed in Santa at that point.

Let's stop trying to shame people into not sharing their pictures; we're all just doing the best we can out here.